Luan has a few Suggestions as to Why You should Engage the Services of A Personal Trainer
I often get asked by newcomers to the gym what benefits can be gained from engaging a Personal Trainer, particularly in the long term. And that is a such a difficult question to give a simple answer to. The fact is, a good trainer is something of a chameleon, shifting their input from one client to the next to account for individual differences and day-to-day variations in motivation, mental and physical health, and fitness levels. From helping you reach your fitness goals to figuring out how to exercise safely with a chronic condition, we are certainly more than a reference library of exercise regimes. Most of my clientele have been with me in excess of half a dozen years, and here are a "Top Ten" of some of the benefits they quote as reasons to maintain that relationship.
1. Motivation Most of us work harder in the presence of others. Having a trainer by your side can provide the encouragement, energy and motivation you need to jumpstart your routine, set goals, create a plan to accomplish them and celebrate with you when you reach them. We can also help you shift the goalposts if life throws you a curved ball, and help to keep you moving forward.
2. Consistency It you find it difficult to stick with a program or exercise habit, a trainer can hold you accountable and help you overcome all the excuses you might use. It’s a lot harder to skip the gym when you know someone is waiting for you (and that that someone is costing you money too!)
3. Clarity Fitness can be confusing. There is a lot of information to sort through. Eat this, don't eat that! Cardio before or after strength training? A trainer can help you find a way through the minefield of information.
4. Confidence The gym can be intimidating. Working with a trainer allows you to become confident with how to perform exercises, use equipment and navigate the gym. After a few sessions, you will feel more ready to workout on your own. This improved self-confidence and self-efficacy can help you stick with your exercise program in the long run.
5. Avoid Injury If you are new to exercise or find some movements painful, consider hiring a trainer to be certain that you are moving in a safe and effective way. Taking the time to learn proper exercise technique can improve your results and prevent annoying injuries.
6. Individualisation When it comes to fitness, every body is unique. Your personal body mechanics, experience, goals, fitness level, likes and dislikes can guide a trainer in creating a plan that is specific to your personal needs. With a program that fits, you are more likely to both maintain the habit and see results.
7. Sport-specific Training Whether you want to run your first 5K, prepare for a backpacking trip, or shave some strokes off your golf game, a trainer can design a fitness program specific to your sport, which will improve your performance and reduce your chance of injury.
8. Training With Medical Conditions Exercise is beneficial for prevention or management of many common chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and hypertension. However, exercising with a medical condition requires additional precautions. An experienced and knowledgeable trainer can design a program that ensures your safety and provides a positive exercise experience. If you have a chronic medical condition, we recommend checking that a PT has qualifications or expert knowledge to deal with it (I am GP Referral qualified for specific health conditions and have over a decade of experience of training individuals with controlled conditions)
9. Aging Gracefully Our bodies change as we age. Maybe the exercises you used to do no longer work with your body, or maybe you’ve stopped seeing results? A trainer can help you adapt your program as you age, which will allow you to maintain functionality and strength.
10. Fun Yes, exercise can be enjoyable! A good personal trainer can make exercise both effective and fun. Group or pairs training can be a great way to increase enjoyment, make exercise sociable and make a PT more affordable. And simply working with a trainer who you like and respect can be enough to provide you with more gratification from your workouts.
That's ten good reasons, although they really don't paint the whole picture. A good PT will love their job and treat their clientele like friends or family. We live through the highs and lows of daily life with our clients and help to steer them through the complicated task of staying on track health- and fitness-wise regardless of what life throws their way. Births, marriages, deaths, divorces, house moves, job changes, illness, wellness, sadness and happiness can all affect the way we feel about training and a good trainer will be there with you every step of the way. We can be a gentle guiding hand or a stiff toe up the backside depending on what we feel you need at that moment. If you still don't believe me, give it a try... It may just be the best investment you make in your future self... 😊
Luan offers Personal Training at DW Fitness First in Kidderminster and also, by arrangement, at your home or local open space. Message her on 077 292 88318 for more information or to book a taster.